Thursday, November 15, 2012

Activity 1:Critical Reflection


For chapter one activity, our lecturer asked us to do some exercises to wake up our brain from hibernation so we can sharpen our ability in critical thinking. The first activity was a scorecard of yourself in determining how familiar you are with yourself - critical thinking wise. From first glance I felt a bit intimidated by the questions because they were a bit too much for me to handle and some of it were of the unfamiliar territories inside me that I haven't even discovered yet or thought about it until now.


From the result of my scoreboard I realized that I rated myself the highest only for one question, five questions were answered with average/high while the other were mostly low and lowest. I can see that I really can offer bad criticism without feeling bad of myself. I think this may be due to my principle that everyone is entitled to their opinion and with my blunt personality, I don't feel I have any problem in voicing out my thought. Personally I think if you keep things to yourself you only end up being misunderstood.


While for the other five question that I have ranked high or average were mostly related on how well I am when considering an issue, how familiar I am with arguments and how I handle my research in finding information. This is due to my background in debate when I was in high school hence I am a bit familiar on how to handle arguments and how my judgement on certain issues. For me, when I'm considering an issue I always try to weigh in the pros and cons between them also, to try and put myself in both situation so that I can come out with one verdict.


Others that were answered low and lowest are mostly for question that I'm least familiar with. I have hard times trying to rate myself for these questions but it also gives me an idea on where I am currently standing and how well am I in interpreting and conveying idea also, my personality as a critical thinker. I realized that most of the time I didn't even try to use the method listed here in everyday’s decision making and problem solving situations hence making me unfamiliar with it.


Through this activity, I plan to try and apply as much as the things listed in my daily life so that with it I can strengthen my skills and become a good thinker. So when there is a situation where I need to use these skills, I will face it positively. I also hope that with this activity I will be able to know myself better and awaken my sleeping inner ability of critical thinking. I plan to share it with my friends so they too will know and try this activity not to mention applying them in their everyday life.


To boil it down, this activity helps us to discover about ourselves better while awakening our inner ability, and even though some of the questions can be a bit intimidating but it is just trying to make you to understand about yourself more and to make you to get out from your comfort zone not to mention introducing you to a new realm of possibility where it needs you to think outside the box and with that it will slowly pave a new path for your perspective,

0 comments:

Post a Comment